History of McCants
McCants Middle School opened its doors on Fant Street in 1935 as Anderson Junior High. Later the name changed to McCants Junior High. In 1985, McCants was reorganized and again changed its name to McCants Middle School. In 1992, McCants moved to its present location on Marchbanks Avenue.
McCants Middle School was named in honor of Dr. Elliott Crayton McCants, a long-time educator in the Anderson area. Few men in the history of Anderson contributed more to the community than Dr. McCants. Arriving in Anderson from Ninety-Six, South Carolina, around the turn of the century, Dr. McCants associated himself with the City School System and from that time on devoted his life and his efforts to the progress of education in Anderson County. Literally thousands of boys and girls came under his influence as Superintendent of the City Schools and always found in him a willing listener and a sound adviser. While Dr. McCants was outstanding in the field of education, he also was one of Anderson's most public spirited citizens, always willing to give of his time and efforts in any undertaking for the betterment of the community. His kind smile and sage remarks endeared him to all who knew him. He was loved and respected by the entire community. He retired from the Anderson Public School System in 1945 at the age of 80 years.