To provide an instructional program in music, dance, theatre, and visual arts for qualified students at the elementary, middle, and high school levels.
To nurture both demonstrated and potential ability as evidenced through the screening identification process.
The Anderson 5 Arts Consortium (A5AC) is a summer opportunity for gifted and talented arts students in Anderson School District 5. A5AC serves rising 7th-9th graders identified as artistically gifted & talented in band, chorus, dance, orchestra, theatre and visual art. Students who consider auditioning for this program should have a high degree of self-discipline and motivation, and should be proficient readers. Student identification for this component is determined by a panel of impartial judges. Continuation in the program is dependent on satisfactory class performance and participation in scheduled events and required performances.
An after-school and evening program, the Project Challenge Playhouse offers any Anderson School District Five student the opportunity to audition for acting parts or volunteer for technical theater work for the dramatic and musical experiences which are presented annually.
Honors Level Art Courses
Honors level high school arts courses are offered at T. L. Hanna and Westside High Schools, as well as at Southwood Academy of the Arts.
The identification process begins in the winter with identified students enrolled during the following school year. The process includes:
- Nomination/Recommendation by Arts Teachers
- Parent Notification
Artistic Screening and Identification TimelineFebruary
- Nominations from arts teachers are submitted
- Screening information and announcement of program services sent to nominated students
- Screenings occur at home schools by district arts staff
- Adjudication of screenings
- Written notification sent to parents of identified students (with registration for summer arts program for students in qualifying grade levels)
- Registration for summer arts program due
- Summer arts program: Anderson 5 Arts Consortium (middle school students)
- Placement for the following year