BOARD OF TRUSTEES SPECIAL MEETING
The Board of Trustees of Anderson County School District Number Five met in the Offices of the Board this date with the following members present: Mr. Charles Lee Anderson, Mr. Rick Bradshaw, Dr. William Mack Burriss, Mr. John William Caldwell, Sr., Mrs. Ann W. Huitt, Mrs. Margaret Mack, Mr. Al Norris, Jr., and Dr. Paul A. Talmadge. Absent was Mr. David Alewine.
NOTICE TO MEDIA
In accordance with the S. C. Code of
Laws, 1976, Section
CALL TO ORDER & INVOCATION
Dr. Burriss called the meeting to order at for the purpose of receiving information on a proposal to change the high school daily schedule from block to traditional.
Mrs. Bagley recognized Westside Assistant Principal Katie Brown and T. L. Hanna Assistant Principal Sheila Hilton to present the proposal.
Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Hilton showed a PowerPoint presentation listing the following Positive Aspects of the Block:
· Longer periods of time to allow teachers to go in-depth;
· Fewer transitions during the day and less “starting” and “stopping;”
· More courses required in a student’s high school career;
· Fewer subjects on which students have to focus;
· Fewer classes for teachers to teach;
· Opportunities to retake failed courses in the same year.
The presentation also listed the following Negative Aspects of the Block:
· Gaps of instruction – having math only one semester in a year;
· Balancing schedules each semester and building in travel time;
· Choice of instructional strategies during longer instructional time;
· Negative impact on the Arts;
· Loss of instructional time per class.
Mrs. Hilton then discussed the
· Dual credit courses;
· College courses without dual credit;
· NovaNet credit recovery software.
The block schedule and the 9th
BUILDING PROGRAM MEETINGS
Mrs. Bagley distributed an updated schedule of the Building Program meetings.
There being no further business, Mr. Caldwell made a motion the Board adjourn. Mr. Anderson seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.
As Approved By Superintendent