The Hig School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) tests are a group of four tests that are designed to measure the general knowledge and thinking skills to earn a high school diploma.

     Most employers and colleges require a diploma or its equivalent for employment, promotion, or admission.

    The four testing areas are:
    Mathematical Reasoning - 120 minutes
    Reading Through Language Arts -  155 minutes
    Science - 95 minutes
    Social Studies - 75 minutes
    The South Carolina State Department of Education issues a South Carolina High School Equivalency Diploma to those who successfully pass all four HSED tests with a minimum score of 145 on each of the four tests.
    Students who are less than nineteen years of age and wish to take the HSED, must submit an official verification of withdrawal form signed by the principal of the last school they attended. This form can be picked up at the Anderson Adult Education Center or can be downloaded by clicking on the following attachment.
    Students that are 17-21 years of age must submit an application for 17 year old or the 18-21 year old application referral form signed by the principal, guidance counselor and the school superintendent of the last school/district they attended prior to registering. 17 year olds and their parent(s) or guardian(s) are also required to meet with the Director of Anderson Adult Education Center before enrollment.
    All fees owed to last school attended must be paid before enrollment at Anderson Adult Education Center.
    Forms can be picked up here at the center or downloaded by clicking on the following attachments. (17 year old form is a two-page form. Both the front and back are required) 
    Adults who pass the HSED examination will receive a state high school equivalency diploma. The HSED is accepted by all states, technical colleges and most 4-year colleges and universities. Students who earn a HSED are also eligible to participate in our Adult Education graduation exercise held each year.
    All students seeking entrance into the HSED program are required to attend an orientation session prior to enrollment. This session will prepare you for class, along with determining your reading, language and math skills.
    HSED Test
    The HSED test is now computerized. You must bring with you a valid South Carolina driver’s license, ID card or passport with you on the day of testing. We also accept drivers' licenses from another state along with South Carolina proof of residency. Proof of residency consists of water, power, utility bill or lease. If, for some reason, you do not have any of the documentation listed, a note signed by the individual(s) that you reside with explaining your residence issues signed and dated will be acceptable. If you need assistance registering for HSED online and are a student of Anderson Adult Education Center 3, 4, & 5, please call 260-5075 to make an appointment with our Transition Specialist, Luci Vaughn. HSED testing fees are $150.00. ($37.50 per test) 
    To register for a test go to https://ged.com. You will need to create an account using an e-mail address. If you do not have an e-mail address, you can create one while on the website. Once registered, you will be able to view dates, times and locations the test is given. All payments are received through Pearson Vue's website with a debit or credit card at https://ged.com. If you are under the age of 19, send your SC verification of withdrawal prior to registration to https://ged.com to: GED Testing Office 1429 Senate Street Mail Box Room GED Testing Columbia, SC 29201   For additional information, you may call Pearson Vue at 1-877-392-6433 or the South Carolina GED hotline at 1-800-277-7323. The Spanish edition of the GED examination is available to be administered at any location. Contact the Pearson Vue office for details at 1-877-450-3276.  For GED ready questions, they are available Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Central Time. For all other inquiries, call Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Central Time, except U.S. holidays.  
    Replacement GED Diplomas and/or Transcripts
    If you have misplaced your GED diploma, you must contact the South Carolina Department of Education using the following URL: https://doesc.scriborder.com/application. Records requested on this application require a payment.